Thursday, January 19, 2012

Kindle Fire Tips on Error Logging, Debugging and Snapshots

I have been testing on the Kindle Fire since December 2011 and have picked up a few good tricks. These include collecting error logs, taking snapshots, debugging with DDMS and installing applications that are currently not available in the Amazon Appstore such as Dropbox.  I am sure there is lots of information scattered around the web and posted on various forums but I want to share my tips and the following blog links in one location for your use.  I will try to add new ones to this post as I learn them.  Feel free to leave comments with your tips.

Test Apps and Installation of non-Appstore Android apps
Dropbox - I can’t imagine my life without Dropbox so needless to say I had to download it from this site: https://www.dropbox.com/android to my PC and then copy it over to the Kindle Fire device.

Speedtest – This app is very helpful in checking download and upload speeds on your mobile device.  Speedtest can be downloaded from this link: http://www.apktops.com/speedtest-net-2-0-8.html directly to your Kindle device.

TIP: To install applications that are currently not available in the Amazon Appstore set ‘Allow Installation of Applications (From Unknown Sources)’ to 'ON' under More>Settings>Device.  Now you should be able to install any compatible Android apps on the Kindle Fire.

Error logging
The easiest way to get logs while you are on the go is by utilizing free Android applications such as Log Collector or CatLog.  Error logs can be emailed, or uploaded to Evernote or Dropbox for your use or attached to bug reports.

Debugging and Taking Snapshots
I already had an Android SDK installed on my Windows 7 machine but in case you need to install it on yours please use the following instructions which are hosted on the Android developer site: http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html, and http://developer.android.com/sdk/installing.html

There are some helpful YouTube videos on how to set up an Android Test environment.  Here is one of them - 'Setting up an Android Test Environment'

I then followed the Kindle Fire FAQ instructions on how to connect to the Android Debug Bridge.  The following blog clarified some steps for me and also provided a link for Windows 7 USB drivers (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8189488/debugging-android-apps-on-the-kindle-fire).
Once the drivers were installed in the android-sdk\extras\google\usb_driver folder and C:\Users\<your-login>\.android\adb_usb.ini file was modified, I updated the Kindle Drive Software via the Device Manager using these steps:

1.*Plug in your Kindle Fire to your computer first*
2. From the Desktop > right click on My Computer 
3. Select Manage > Device Manager.
4. Expand Other Devices and right-click on Kindle>Update Driver Software
5. Select Browse Computer for driver software
6. Browse and navigate to android-sdk\extras\google\usb_driver directory and complete the process.

Once done launch the Davluk Debug monitor from the \android-sdk\tools\ folder - I created a Desktop shortcut for easier access.  The Screen Capture feature can be accessed under the Device menu.  I also installed the Droid@Screen tool for screen capturing from this web site: http://droid-at-screen.org/. I find it easier to use especially if a screencast of test steps needs to be created.

Happy Kindle Fire Testing!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Lena..

    Its really helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is a post on how to get adb to recognize your Kindle Fire on Windows8. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=34700983&postcount=4

    ReplyDelete